Best Free Tools To Flip Your Classroom

So you want to flip your classroom, but where do you start? I encourage the "sandbox" method: play in it. I am going to list what I feel are some of the best free technology tools out there. I'll tell you what they are and how I use them. Then, it's time for you to play. :-)

Dropbox - Dropbox is a great cloud technology storage tool. It's also cross platform, so moving items between operating systems is a breeze. Simply download the application, install, create an account, and you are on your way. You can create public links from the public folder. Drop a video in the public box, right click (or control click if you're on a Mac) and copy the public link from the video. Send it away for others to view. I actually create folders for all of my students. When they join dropbox, I get more free storage. They drop all of their projects here for me to grade. This is a very helpful tool since many email applications have attachment size limitations. Use the cloud and see how it can help you!

Edmodo - If you are looking to tap into the mobile technology world, this tool will be your best friend. Put your lesson plans online and have updates and text messages sent directly to your students. You can even create online assessments here. All for free.

UStreamTV - With UStreamTV, you can stream video live. Create your own channel and feed it through your Facebook page. I use this to broadcast student presentations. If you want to raise the bar in performance expectations, set up your rubrics and broadcast the performances of your students. I have parents who love that they know exactly what I am talking about when it comes to their student's performances. It's hard to doubt video.

Khan Academy - Here is the origin of flipped classrooms. While I don't use this content personally, I often use the same format when I develop my own content. It's great stuff.

TED-ed - TED talks for education. Great Lessons Worth Sharing. Here are great lessons (with extended plans) that you are allowed to flip for YOUR classroom. How great is this? I love it!

These are just a few tools I use. This is enough playtime for today. Be brave and jump in! Remember that everything you do must help you work smarter, faster, and more efficiently. Have a great day in the sandbox!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Hard Could It Be Anyway? (And Other Observations About Teaching)

Why Being a Good Teacher Just Isn't Good Enough--A Conversation Concerning Tenure Laws

My Five Big "Ah-Ha" Revelations After 30 Years in Teaching