Three Reasons Why You SHOULD Attend Parent/Teacher Conferences--Even If You Are Happy With Your Student's Grade

Why do I need to go to parent/teacher conferences?  My son/daughter has an acceptable grade.  I've never heard anything negative from his/her teacher, so why bother?  It can be a hassle to show up and stand in line. It's another evening that I have to sacrifice away from home after a long day's work.

You'd rather just check off tonight as a "pass," but as your student's teacher, I have some very good reasons for you to attend, so here's some food for thought:

1) What IS your child learning?
Even if your student is performing well, what does that performance mean?  You need to attend your student's conference and find out what curriculum is the driving force behind your student's progress.  What content is involved with this performance? How is your student being assessed? What did your student's teacher learn about your student and his/her skill sets during the process? THESE are significant questions that should be addressed during conferences.  This dialogue concerning this process should be the driving factor for your attendance of a parent/teacher conference.  Just WHAT does that grade mean?  What does it measure?  What did your child do to earn that assessment, and how does this impact his/her overall skill levels?  I prepare for each and every student with this content. I come prepared to share this information and open that dialogue door. It is my opportunity to create my learning TEAM for each student.  As a parent, here is where you can ask significant questions: 1) Is my student progressing independently?  2) How well does my student work through problems on his/her own?  3) Are there areas my student needs more attention than others? 4) What can we do, as a team, to address these needs?  THIS POINT ALONE SHOULD MOTIVATE YOUR ATTENDANCE.  IT'S BIG.

2. How is my student doing socially and emotionally?   As your student's teacher, I get to see something you don't: how your student interacts in multiple situations---social, personal, public, and performance.  While you as the parent see these as well, you don't see them without your presence with a third party's perspective.  I have been teaching for thirty-one years, and I KNOW kids. I love my students. I notice their good days, their bad days, their habits, their hurts, their victories. Trust me when I take the time to question or share a concern. First, IT IS NOT AN ATTACK ON YOUR PARENTING. Being a child/teen/young adult is a challenge. All students have moments, and sometimes those moments (both sad or wonderful) are moments that you need to know. We are a support TEAM for your student. Share with your student's teacher/s any concerns you have; we can work together to address issues of confidence, anxiety, depression, and more. We can set up interventions that are consistent from school to home, so your student transitions from one environment to the next with ease.  When those students become strong individuals who are comfortable in their own skin, we all win.

3.  Your attendance sends a message to your student: SCHOOL PERFORMANCE MATTERS.  Of course what you do at school matters, you might think, but HOW do you convey that to your student? Attending parent/teacher conferences sends a clear message: I care about your academic, social, and personal academic performance.  We (as parent and teacher) need to be on the same page concerning your student's growth. Working with your student's teacher is part of that growth.  Just as attending your student's sporting events, musical concerts, and dramatic showcases, parent/teacher conferences shouldn't be missed. Trust me when I share with you a desire to see your student succeed. As a parent, you must emphasize your awareness and concern for your student's learning and academic growth, and while you might believe your student is aware of your beliefs, remember that it is our actions (supported by our words) that make the difference. We measure our child's physical changes and note them with pride.  Our student's academic growth is more complex, so we need to look more closely.  We need to embrace this conferencing process and not fear it. Please attend. Tell your student you will, and that you look forward to learning more about what he/she is doing. Have a positive conversation where you clearly say that your student's learning is paramount to you. It matters.  It REALLY matters.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Hard Could It Be Anyway? (And Other Observations About Teaching)

Why Being a Good Teacher Just Isn't Good Enough--A Conversation Concerning Tenure Laws

My Five Big "Ah-Ha" Revelations After 30 Years in Teaching